There are two major aims that you want to accomplish, if you have an online presence for your business; securing new leads and increasing sales. In order to achieve these aims, you need to ensure that people actually visit your website. This is why it’s so important to feature as high as possible in search engine rankings.
There used to be a time when a great deal of effort was put into finding keywords that would attract people to a product or service, and then simply including them at regular intervals, across the website. Often, there was little attention paid to overall content. Marketing online has changed a great deal, and high quality content is now one of the major requirements, if you want to secure good search engine rankings.
Why has the change occurred?
There are two main contributing factors to the increase in the importance of content.
- Internet users have become more discerning – As the Internet has developed, users have begun to expect more from their experience. It’s not good enough to come up with some generic content that does not mean a great deal. People want to be informed, engaged and entertained.
- The Google algorithm has evolved – As users have begun to expect more, so the Google algorithm has evolved to take this into account. Google wants to ensure content helps to provide a good user experience, as it proved when Google Panda became a reality.
All of this means that you need to concentrate on producing accurate, well-written and informative content for your website.
Tips on providing great content
You may be providing an exceptional product or service, but if your website content is not up to scratch you could be losing out on important sales or leads. Here are some tips to consider when you are creating content.
- Keep it succinct. People do not want to read a huge amount of text on a web page. It just gets confusing and you end up losing your message. If you want to provide more detailed content, use an online magazine or blog and link it to your website.
- Make sure your grammar and spelling is accurate. If you do not do this, you can end up looking unprofessional.
- Make sure the most important content is at the top of the page where people start to read first.
- Use headings and menus to make it easier for people to find the information they need. This also makes it easier for Googlebot to find information.
- Use keywords intelligently. It’s important to make sure that they fit within the context of what you are saying, and are not just stuffed in.
All of these tips can be useful in engaging visitors to your website, and in securing good search engine rankings from Google.
Put yourself in the place of someone visiting your website, what information would you want to know? It’s this information that you need to provide, in a clear, concise and original manner.